BEN’s mission is to stop environmental degradation in Bangladesh and repair the damage that has already been done. In addition, BEN strives to contribute to the international effort to protect the global environment.
BEN thinks that environmental degradation is not inevitable. A country can industrialize while protecting the environment. For example, the Central American country of Costa Rica has achieved economic growth while doing well in protecting its environment. In fact, protection of environment has allowed it even to benefit from eco-tourism. On the other hand, Nigeria has suffered considerable environmental deterioration without achieving significant economic growth. These experiences show that it depends on policies whether a country can achieve economic growth without damaging the environment. BEN’s main mission is to help Bangladesh adopt and implement policies that can enable it to industrialize without harming the environment and to repair the damage that has already been done. Achieving this mission however requires fulfilling several other objectives. These all can be summarized as follows.
- Help Bangladesh adopt and implement pro-environment policies.
- Establish connection and build unity among pro-environment non-resident Bangladeshis, and mobilize their effort and resources for the protection of Bangladesh and global environment.
- Work together with Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA) and other pro-environment forces of Bangladesh to raise awareness among people about environmental issues and persuade the government to adopt and implement pro-environment policies.
- Promote documentation, study and research on environmental issues of Bangladesh and disseminate the findings and policy implications.
- Promote the philosophy and spirit of self-reliant public and social service.
- Join international and host country environment movements in the struggle for the protection of global environment, including the struggle against climate change.